Skip to main content

Solo RPG Using Mythic GM Emulator and OD&D - Part 2 - Running the First Scene

Welcome back to my Play by Blog Campaign. In the previous session I setup the first scene of the game using the mighty Mythic GM Emulator. In this session I am going to play out the scene. This will entail asking various questions using the Mythic GM Emulator oracle system as well as how to end a scene once it reaches a natural breaking off point.

Solo RPG Using Mythic GM Emulator and OD&D - Part 2 - Running the First Scene

The first thing I need to do is set the scene, so here goes...

My character Mona is out in the forest checking her hunting traps, when suddenly she discovers the mutilated carcass of a deer caught in one of the traps. She inspects the remains closely noticing immediately that something has brutally torn the animal apart, stripping it of huge chunks of flesh, and breaking the bones. Whatever did this clearly has a great deal of strength and sharp monsterous claws and teeth.

Mona is going to attempt to track this unknown creature and see if she can find out what it is.

I'm genuinely quite excited to find out how this scene will play out, but before I get into the scene I need to check to see if the scene will be modified. According to the Mythic GM Emulator I will need to roll a d10 against the Chaos Factor, which is currently at 6.

1d10 = 7

I rolled higher than the Chaos Factor, therefore the scene is not modified.

Now it is time to ask the Fate Chart some questions to establish some details about Mona's current situation.

"Does Mona see any tracks leading away from the deer's carcass?"

I would say that this is very likely, so will roll on the Fate Chart using the relevant odds:

Answer: Yes

Asking questions is the core mechanic of Mythic. It is a kindof oracle system and I'd say once you get the hang of it, it's fairly straight forward. I'm interested to see how well it will handle my game. Let's find out! In situations where I am unsure of the odds it will be a 50/50 chance, as follows:

Question: "Do the tracks look fresh?"

Odds: 50/50

Answer: Yes

Mona follows the tracks cautiously, doing her best not to make a sound she makes her way deeper into the undergrowth of the forest.

I think from time to time using Mythic your imagination will be necessary. In this instance I'm trying to imagine where these tracks might lead my character. The first thing that springs to mind is a forest cave, perhaps near a waterfall that flows into a river. I'll ask the Fate Chart and as I have no idea I will keep the odds at 50/50.

Question: "Do the tracks lead to a forest cave?"

Odds: 50/50

Answer: Yes

The tracks continue along a narrow river until they eventually pass into a cave mouth hidden behind a tumbling waterfall.

At this point my imagination is telling me that Mona is going to prepare herself to enter the cave and because of the obvious potential for danger ahead, she is going to need a basic weapon and of course as a Magic-User, a spell. As I'm making this character on the fly, determining details as required, I now need to figure out what equipment Mona has and which first level spell she has prepared.

The OD&D book 'Men & Magic' indicates that starting gold is determined by a roll of a d6 multiplied by 10.

1d6 = 4 * 10 = 40

I will subtract the relevant number of Gold Pieces from this total as I determine what equipment Mona is carrying. This isn't how one would normally handle things, however as I explained previously I am using a 'quick start' character creation method to aid in getting the adventure moving with less time being spent on preparation for the campaign.

In OD&D as Magic-User's are only able to arm themselves with daggers initially, this will be Mona's weapon. I have deducted 3gp from her starting gold and added the dagger to her Character Record Sheet.

As a first level Magic-User, Mona gets one spell and is presumed to be carrying a spell book. Mona will have a sleep spell prepared.

The OD&D book 'Men & Magic' indicates that starting gold is determined by a roll of a d6 multiplied by 10.

With her dagger held tightly in her grip and her spell book hanging closely at her side, Mona hugs the side of the cave and passes under the water fall and out of sight.

This seems like a natural place to end the first scene.

At this point I need to update the Chaos Factor. I would say that Mona was largely in control of that scene and nothing particularly chaotic happened, so I will lower the Chaos Factor from 6 to 5. There are no new threads emerging from this scene and I am yet to uncover any new characters. My lists are as follows:

  • Chaos Factor: 5
  • Threads: Find out who or what ravaged the deer

Be sure to check back in to find out what happens next. In the meantime:

See you next session...

Support Me with a Donation

If you enjoy my content and find value in it and would like to send a small donation over to show your appreciation and help support this blog so it can continue to grow then please follow the link below to make a donation via PayPal.

https://paypal.me/tomdnd

Comments

  1. Very cool idea Tom. Doesn't hurt that I read your blogposts in your accent. Seems unlikely that a lone OD&D mage will survive very long in a mysterious cave in the woods. Perhaps she'll meet an ally?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) I think it's quite funny that you read them in my accent. I actually have no idea what will become of this character. Nothing is predetermined so I guess we will just have to wait and see :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to Play Dungeons & Dragons Solo - Part 1 - Which Ruleset? A Solo DnD Tutorial

Hello and welcome to this blog. “ How to Play Dungeons & Dragons Solo ” . This blog will explore the concept of playing Dungeons & Dragons solo . This means playing the game completely by yourself with no Dungeon Master. The idea to write this blog naturally developed from a YouTube video series I created back in July 2020, dedicated to the process of how to start and run a Dungeons & Dragons solo campaign . I was increasingly requested to write all the information down to aid my viewers and provide something that brought all the information together in a concise format. How to Play Dungeons & Dragons Solo - Part 1 - Which Ruleset? A Solo DnD Tutorial In this blog I will present the information from the original videos (which I would advise watching in full as a reading accompaniment to obtain the full context) and expand upon it, showing you in further detail how to design and play a solo Dungeons & Dragons campaign by yourself with no involvement from

Playing Pre-Published Adventures Solo Part 1 - a Solo D&D Tutorial

I’ve been asked on several occasions how I play pre-published adventures solo. I’m going to explain some of the rules I use here. The key to running pre-published adventures is to master the art of switching perspectives. I covered this in more detail in Tales of Mystara - The Palace of Evendur - Episode 2, and also in a previous article. In summary, sometimes in your solo game you will want to switch from being the player to being the Dungeon Master. This will aid you in the task of running pre-published adventures without ruining the element of surprise. The main goal when doing this, is to try to avoid meta gaming wherever possible. Playing Pre-Published Adventures Solo Part 1 - a Solo D&D Tutorial The Basics A really basic example of avoiding metagaming is deciding which direction the party will take when several options are presented by selecting the direction randomly. A simple roll of a die can be used with each side representing a different cardinal direction. F

Avoiding Meta Gaming with Character Actions - A Solo D&D Tutorial

In the first Episode of Season 2 of Tales of Mystara, I discussed some of my solo role playing mechanics, in an effort to help listeners better understand how I run my solo games. This is something I will try to do regularly in Season 2 and I figured it would make sense to include these short tips in this blog. I have been asked on several occasions how I stop myself from meta gaming, especially when running a pre-published adventure solo. This is actually a pretty easy thing to achieve, if you approach the problem of solo gaming in a certain way... Avoiding Meta Gaming with Character Actions - A Solo D&D Tutorial I've always approached the concept of playing D&D or other tabletop role playing games solo as a design problem that needs to be solved. For me, the problem is handled from three angles: The first angle is to emulate the role of the Dungeon Master, so I can experience the game from the perspective of a player. The second angle is to emulate player